Meal Plans & Grocery List


Everyone always asks me "what should I eat?" and it is a very important question because nutrition plays a HUGE role (about 80%) in helping you achieve your fitness goals.  Exercise & training makes up most of the other 20%, but genetics also always play a role unfortunately, so we have to do everything in our physical power to reach our goals in order to overcome this.  One of the most important aspects of keeping your nutrition on track is proper planning.  One of my teachers always used to say "PROPER PLANNING PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE" and this could not be more true when it comes to setting up your meals for the week ahead of time, so that you don't have the opportunity to stray!  I spend an hour or two on Sunday planning, cooking and preparing all of my meals for the week.  This prevents me from ever wondering "what should I eat?" and making the wrong decision along the way.  For most people that are trying to lose weight or lead a healthier lifestyle, knowing what to eat is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome, but our grocery list and sample meal plans help you jump right over that hurdle!

Grocery List:

Lean Proteins

  • Boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • Eggs, egg whites/substitute
  • Tuna
  • Extra lean ground round
  • Extra lean ground turkey
  • Bison meat
  • Tilapia
  • Halibut
  • Tofu
  • Pork Chops
  • Grouper
  • Red Snapper
Healthy Fats
  • Natural peanut butter & almond butter (no salt)
  • Avocados
  • Almonds
  • Salmon
  • Olive-oil cooking spray
Fruits
  • Bananas
  • Apples
  • Rasberries
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries
  • Blackberries
  • Pineapple
  • Honeydew
  • Cantaloupe
  • Watermelon
  • Grapefruit                                                             
Complex Carbs: Steel cut oats, Sweet potatoes, Ezekiel Bread, Ezekiel brand pasta, Rice cakes, Brown rice, Quinoa, Black beans, Kidney beans, Lentils, Whole wheat pasta, Whole wheat tortillas, Wheat germ, Flax seed & Flax oil, Pinto beans & Couscous

Dairy/Dairy Substitutes: Fat-free cottage cheese, Non-fat plain yogurt, Greek yogurt,  Unsweetened almond milk, Fat-free string cheese

Vegetables: Leafy lettuce, Broccoli, String beans, Carrots, Spinach, Bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, Cauliflower, Celery, Mushrooms, Sprouts, Cucumber, Green & Red Pepper, Onions (green, red & yellow), Garlic, Tomatoes, Zucchini, Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Beets, Radishes, Pumpkin, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Okra, Parsnips, Cilantro, Chives, Kale, Corn, Edamame & Leeks

Flours: Rice flour, Wheat flour, Quinoa flour & Oat flour

Condiments/Sweeteners: Reduced sodium soy sauce, Reduced sodium teriyaki sauce, Blasamic Vinegar, Salsa, Stevia or Truvia, Sugar free jelly, Chili paste, Tomato paste (low sugar), Ketchup (Heinz or Wholefoods Organic, small amounts!), Mustard (yellow or Dijon), Vanilla extract, Almond extract, Chicken/Vegetable Broth (low sodium & fat free), Fat free cooking spray & sugar-free applesauce

Herbs & Spices: Chili powder, Mrs. Dash, McCormicks, Cinnamon, Basil, Bay leaves, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Dill, Chicken bouillon, Ginger, Sage, Rosemary, Paprika, Thyme, Oregano, Curry powder, Red pepper, Dry mustard, Cumin, Saffron & Nutmeg


You should be eating 5-6 small meals a day to help stimulate your metabolism, while keeping away the hunger pangs.  This means that you will be eating every 2-3 hours.  This does NOT mean eat whatever you want, you must keep your portions small and your meals should be filled with nutrient dense foods!

  • Eat your first meal within an hour of waking
  • Measure and weigh everything, whenever possible.  Purchase measuring cups and a kitchen scale.
  • CONSISTENCY IS KEY!! If you have a day where you slip up, don't give up! Start fresh at your next meal or the next day!
And always drink a ton of water! You should have a bottle of water with you everywhere you go - in the car, at your desk, in the bathroom while in the shower. This is very, very important!


Sample Meal Plan #1

Meal 1: 1 cup of fat-free cottage cheese with fruit or no-calorie sweetener

Meal 2: 1/2 serving of Ezekiel bread and 4 oz. of lean protein meat

Meal 3: 1 Serving of a Protein shake (or Shakeology) with water or almond milk

Meal 4: 3 Rice Cakes w/ 1 tsp of almond butter or PB2 on each

Meal 5: 4 oz. of lean protein and 3/4 cup of brown rice

Meal 6: 1-2 cups of veggies and 4 oz. of lean protein


Sample Meal Plan #2

Meal 1: 1/2 cup of oats and 6 egg whites

Meal 2: Apple with 2 tsp. of natural peanut butter, almond butter or PB2

Meal 3: 1-2 cups of veggies & 6 oz. of lean protein (chicken, fish, turkey, eggs, etc.)

Meal 4: 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese with fruit or no-cal sweetener

Meal 5: 5 oz. of turkey meatloaf and 1 cup of steamed broccoli 

Meal 6: 2 scoops protein powder or 1 serving of Shakeology with 6 oz greek yogurt



Pin It button on image hover